Canada and Mexico

Jean Mac

Canada and Mexico

Post by Jean Mac »

Hi All,
My name is Jean. Have a '74 VW Camper bus, Type II. I am a newbie to Treffen. Heading to Port Angeles from Denver. Anyone else interested in starting from Canada? Also, is it safe to cross the border into Mexico on Sunday from Ventura? I would not stay overnight in Mexico, just cross over and touch the soil with my tires. LOL I'd like to do the original road trip covering 3 countries.
Thanks for any info.

Jean McClenathen
BlueBus
Site Admin

Re: Canada and Mexico

Post by BlueBus »

Hi Jean, it can take a very long time in line to cross back over to the US from Tijuana-- hours. It also takes a while on foot, but at least you're not idling in traffic. If you were to head east a little, it's often quicker to cross back over at Tecate, but it gets hotter inland. I keep meaning to walk over every year, but I'm so tired at the end, I just hoof it home. :)

I haven't started in Canada, another thing I've been meaning to do for years, haha.

Also curious, is anybody planning to cross either border? I've heard Blaine can take forever as well. I've driven over at Windsor and it took 5 minutes.
RhondaRoo

Post by RhondaRoo »

I would like to go over to Victoria BC and spend a day or overnight on Tues/Wed and return to Port Angeles on Thurs early-ish. Does anybody wanna go with?

Things to note…..the Canadian Govt is very strict. If you have anything on your record…..even something REALLY OLD from the 60-70s…..they won’t allow you into the country without going through the process of getting “forgiveness” from their govt. 😬

Mexico….you might want to get special car ins to cover you over there.🤷🏻‍♀️
PaulGhia

Post by PaulGhia »

So..Canada...As I understand it,, The Peace Arch Park at the Blaine Washington border crossing is half in the USA and half in Canada. So You could actually have one foot in each country..Not sure if the parking lot allows us to "drive" a few feet in Canada 😀
DonVWMiller

Post by DonVWMiller »

We are planning to start our “Treffen Experience” on July 20 by driving from Redmond up to the Peace Arch and then down Chuckanut drive and through Whidby Island to catch the ferry from Coupeville to Port Townsend. It is recommended to get a reservation on the ferry and some of us have booked the 2:45. My understanding is we can avoid the border line and just go to the Peace Arch Park for a photo op.
BlueBus
Site Admin

Post by BlueBus »

I haven't been in years, but I remember space is kinda tight at the park
RhondaRoo

Post by RhondaRoo »

Hi Don

Redmond isn’t too far from Everett where I’m picking up a buddy I grew up with. Peace Arch looks like a beautiful park! I’m getting a little lost scrolling the map on my phone…but it looks like Chucknut might be similar to hwy 1? Can’t you take the Deception Pass Bridge over to/from Whidbey Island also? That is a BEAUTIFUL ride….even at night when I did it a couple years ago.
RhondaRoo

Post by RhondaRoo »

Don….what time are you planning to head up there? I think I’ll be pretty close to Peace Arch at my friend’s house in Snohomish. Are you planning on making any stops along the way for food/pit stops/etc? Is there time for any of that with a 2:45 ferry rsv?
DonVWMiller

Post by DonVWMiller »

We are thinking of leaving at 7 AM which would get us to the Peace Arch about 10….after taking some photos we’ll make our way south to Bellingham and cut over to Chuckanut drive on Old Fairhaven following signs for State Route 11.

At the end of Chuckanut we think head west on Bow Hill Road then south on Farm to Market Road to hit Highway 20. 20 goes across the Deception Pass bridge on the way to the ferry.

For anyone who is interested or in need, I have an extra reservation on the 2:45 ferry (I made 2 but plans changed and I hung onto both). If I cancel before 5 today I get a refund but I think someone will want it so I’ll check with VWers at the Peace Arch and Ferry dock.
DonVWMiller

Post by DonVWMiller »

Take exit 276 (or set your GPS for the “Peace Arch Public Restrooms) and you can avoid border traffic and get to a big parking lot right at the border and walk a path to the Peace Arch monument